King Funeral Service has been serving families spanning five generations. Beginning in 1892, James J. King established the business, the James J. King Funeral Home located at 2129 South 11th Street in Philadelphia. His son Michael joined him in 1929 and the business name became James J. King and Son.
In May of 1945, James died and Michael continued the business and added what was his residence, 2651 South 64th Street, to also use as a facility. In January 1950, Michael's son James became a funeral director and joined the family business. In the early 1950's, the building on 11th Street was sold.
In August of 1959, the facility was enlarged and at this time Jim, his wife Pat and ultimately seven children resided at the funeral home. In August 1970 after a brief illness, Michael suddenly died. By this time the family was a strong part of Southwest Philadelphia especially in St. Barnabas Parish.
Jim's daughter Denise married Thomas Sinclair in September of 1972. Jim asked Tom to consider joining him in the family business. Tom went back to school for Mortuary Science and has been a licensed funeral director with the King's since 1974.
In the late 1980's Jim started experiencing health problems that eventually led to his early death in 1994. He was only 66 years old. Tom continued to manage the business and welcomed his daughter, Jim's granddaughter, Lauren into the business in 1999.
In December 2001, a new location was founded at 209 North Newtown Street Road in Newtown Square, Delaware County. Here we share a building with James J. Sweeney Funeral Home. We are two separate funeral homes sharing one building.
We have always taken great pride in serving our families. An advertisement from the 1940's says it all, "To render the highest type of service to humanity in it's greatest need - that is our calling. To render that service so completely that every detail, however small, is promptly taken care of so thoughtfully that the burden of sorrow is made lighter - that is ever our goal."